Question : How are the expenses of the child’s upbringing calculated in the Sharia?
Answer : It is obligatory on the father to support the children by providing them with food and drink, clothes, medicine, housing and all that they need for their living.
Question : If the father or the paternal grandfather does not support the children, is their mother obligated to do so?
Answer : Yes, she is obligated to do so if she can afford it.
Question : Is one obligated to provide food and shelter for the wife or the mother?
Answer : It is compulsory for a person to provide shelter and food for both of them when possible, and if it is not possible then the wife has precedence.
Question : In a permanent marriage what are the obligations of the man in paying for the expenses of his wife? As far as food, clothing and shelter are concerned, what is the minimum requirement that he has to pay for? For example, some women desire very expensive food and clothing which a man cannot afford. What should he do in such a case?
Are these obligations different for temporary marriage?
Answer : The husband is obligated to pay the regular expenses of the permanent wife which is food, shelter and clothing in a usual way. Selecting the best kind of such expenses is not mandatory.
The man is not obligated to pay more than the dower in the case of temporary marriage.
Question : I know that my wife has some rights over me, such as feeding, clothing, shelter etc. Do parents, brothers and sisters of my wife also have some rights over me?
Answer : They do not have any rights over you, other than the general rights of brotherhood between believers.
Question : What are the religious instructions for divorce, including the dower and the money to be paid for child and the ex-wife?
Answer : If the divorce was revocable, then maintaining the wife financially during the Iddah – the waiting period – is obligatory on the husband. If it was irrevocable, then such maintenance is not obligatory.
It is obligatory on the father to sustain his children financially whether their mother is divorced or not.
The dower is payable to the wife by the husband if he consummated the marriage, and half of the dower is due if he did not.