Day Questions

In Pakistan, there is a grave of Sayyida Ruqayya (peace be upon her), sister of Abbas ibn Ali (peace be upon him) in Lahore; is this based on fact?

It is permissible to visit the places that have been established to simulate the shrines of the Ahlulbait (peace be upon them) in order to revive their remembrances and have gatherings to mourn them, and similar activities that are conducted to remind others about them.

I am a professional photographer. Can I take photographs of women and men in wedding ceremonies where women wear traditional clothes (not proper Hijab) and there is mix gathering, but there is no chance of me falling into a sin and there is no alcohol served there? Would the income from this be lawful? Is photography of women by itself prohibited? Can I employ a woman who does the photography so that I do not have to go the mix gathering?

Taking photographs is a permissible profession. You can also take photographs in mixed gathering such as weddings where women are not observing Hijab, but it is prohibited to look at non-Mahram women with lust. Having said that, women must wear the Hijab in the presence of non-Mahram men even in wedding ceremonies. Observing Hijab is obligatory on the woman in any place in the presence of non-Mahram men, even at her own house. It is better to hire a woman to do the photography in such cases.

What is the ruling on smoking shisha or cigarettes just outside the mosques and Islamic places of worship?

It is permissible to smoke in the places adjacent to the mosques and Islamic places of worship.