The Press Release on the Terrorist Attacks against the Shia in Egypt

The Press Release on the Terrorist Attacks against the Shia in Egypt

We strongly condemn the terrorist attacks that lead to the martyrdom and wounding of tens of innocent lovers of the Ahlul-Bait (peace be upon them) in Egypt and the dragging of deceased bodies along the ground that took place afterwards.

As we ask the Almighty Allah to send His mercy on the souls of the martyrs and to grant the wounded fast recovery, we call the government and the judiciary of Egypt to take the responsibility in bringing the perpetrators and those who motivated them with incitement verdicts to justice. In addition, we call the Egyptian government to take the necessary steps in preventing the recurrence of similar events.

We pray to the Almighty Lord to bless the efforts of Al-Azhar in promoting a culture of moderation and rejecting extremism and hatred, which distort the image of Muslims and rupture the unity of the peaceful Egyptian nation.

"There is no power save from Allah, the All-high, the All-Great"

The Office of the Religious Authority, Sayyid Mohammed Saeed Al-Hakeem

Day Questions

One performed the divorce in the presence of his wife’s father and the husband of her paternal aunt, on the demand of his wife for divorce. Is the divorce valid?

If the said two people are believers, and they adhere to the laws of Islam in a regular way and do not insist on committing sins when they commit any, then they are considered as adil witnesses for a divorce. If the rest of the conditions are met, then the divorce is valid.

I am planning to go for Hajj this year, and I am required to make a payment a few months in advance, before the khums year-end. But the actual Hajj will take place after the khums year-end. Will I need to pay khums on the money paid in advanced for Hajj?

One does not need to pay khums of the money that he uses for pilgrimage in the mentioned case, as it is part of the expenses, even if it is paid in advance. If he paid this money for pilgrimage and it was not for the current year, and he could retrieve the money then it is subject to khums.

How does one convert the temporary marriage into permanent marriage?

This can be done by the man forgoing the remaining time (thus ending the temporary marriage) and forming a new permanent marriage contract.